Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze. It also spreads when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth.
Symptoms of Coronavirus Infection
- Difficulty in breathing
- Kidney Failure
Prevention and Precaution
There’s currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The best way forward is to protect your self from getting infected and also prevent spreading the virus to others.
- Washing hands very frequently. Wash them for 20 seconds atleast with soap and water. Do not miss any part of the hand, fingers, thumb and back of the hand.
- Hands can also be washed with alcohol based liquid.
- Avoid touching you face, eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your mouth with tissue or elbow when you cough or sneeze.
- If you are sick wear face mask.
- Maintain 1.5 metre distance with people who are unwell.
- Stay at home and practice self isolation.